NOVA's free digital resources for educators in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics includes videos, audio segments, lesson plans, and interactives designed to facilitate effective classroom integration. Coming from the PBS network, this collection includes lesson plans, collections, and webinars.
Edutopia video collection
This online resource includes a broad selection of videos demonstrating different teaching strategies and approaches and can be useful in showing different practices from pedagogical approaches like problem based learning to more practical aspects like how to encourage students to devise their own seating plan.
The Mechanical Universe
A series of 52 30-minute videos covering the basic topics of a university physics course, viewable for free. Uses a lot of very nice animations and snippets of old film.
Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math
The Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math guide provides articles, samples, and lessons to help you find new ideas and approaches that will work for your elementary students. Math is about numbers, but it can also be drawn, manipulated, interpreted, measured, and constructed.
In the Using Creative Technologies in Elementary Math guide you can find:
- A creative approach to building number sense and problem-solving
- Connecting math to art
- Creating visual representations of mathematic concepts
The guide includes lesson plans where:
- students practice counting through the creation of a holiday counting book.
- students compose images from shapes, describe their composition, and create their own version of the book, The Shape of Things.
- students explore length, width, perimeter, and surface area, convert measurements, and work with 2-D representations of 3-D objects.
- students create original artwork and manipulate images to demonstrate understanding of line symmetry.
- students improve multiplication skills by skip counting and creating multiplication word problems.
- The strategies and lessons in this guide will help you engage students in mathematical thinking through creative technology tools.
Making in Math
Exploring Line Symmetry
Now That's a Problem
The 13 Days of Halloween
The Shape of Things
Dream Room Design
Additional ideas from real student projects
Vibby is a free tool for anyone who wants to share video content in a more effective and efficient way. It makes it extremely easy to highlight and share specific parts of videos in seconds with no video editing experience needed.
This tool that allows educators to integrate video into their lessons. Users can create segmented videos called Vibs from existing YouTube videos according to the requirement. They simply have to drag the URL’s of YouTube videos and paste them to Vibby Editor to cut short the desired segment. It can be used to highlight, discuss, and share the best parts of any video.
Registration is needed.
Superfamous houses the work of Dutch interaction designer Folkert Gorter, whose photography is available under the conditions of a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license. This means that you can use the work for your own purposes — including commercial use — as long as credit is provided.
Visuwords is an online graphical dictionary — Users can look up words to find their meanings and associations with other words and concepts. The platform produces diagrams reminiscent of a neural net providing a visual aid for the users to learn how words associate. Great for writers, journalists, students, teachers, and artists.
Users can enter words into the search box to look them up or double-click a node to expand the tree, click and drag the background to pan around and use the mouse wheel to zoom and hover over nodes to see the definition and click and drag individual nodes to move them around to help clarify connections.
Visuwords uses Princeton University’s WordNet, an opensource database built by University students and language researchers. Combined with a visualisation tool and user interface built from a combination of modern web technologies, Visuwords is available as a free resource to all patrons of the web.
No membership required.
Good Free Photos
Good Free Photos is a large Public Domain photo repository with thousands of unique and free high resolution stock photos, images, clipart, pics and vectors (more than 8000 to date). All photos are taken by the author of the website and are categorised by location for travel photos, species for animal and plant photos, and types of objects for other photos. All photos are released under the public domain license so you can use the photos for whatever reason you want. Goodfreephotos does not claim to have model releases for photos that may need them, please read the license terms if you think a photo needs a model release.
Snapwire is a platform that connects young photographers with brands, publishers, small businesses, and creatives around the world looking for specific images that cannot be found through traditional stock photo services.
Every week, on this website there are 7 different photos from extremely talented photographers who have offered these snaps to you for free. You can use these snaps however you choose and subscribe below for weekly updates.
License and commission photos from 200,000 of the world's most talented photographers.
Polarr Photo Editor 3
Polarr is a good photo editor for bloggers, students, and photo professionals alike. It allows users to use high-precision light and colour tools, advanced clarity and dehaze settings, as well as to create and save their own filters, batch export photos, adding watermark, and using keyboard shortcuts.
It is available as a free add-on app in Chrome and on the website a free version is available for download for most Operating systems and platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, etc.
The following is a list of the features as described on the Chrome add-in app.
- Designed for mouse and touch
- Proprietary high precision sliders
- Interactive In-app guide to photo editing
- Expandable and collapsible Workspace
- Responsive and adjustable UI
- Hand-crafted collection of 50 filters
- Imports and exports multiple batch
- Color: temperature, tint, contrast
- Light: exposure, highlights and shadows
- Detail: clarity, sharpen, denoise
- Atmosphere: diffuse and Dehaze
- Optics: distortions, vignette, fringing
- Advanced HSL and RGB Curve tools
- Filter blending and mixing tools
- Highlights / shadows toning tools
- Multiple local adjustments areas
- Circular and gradient filters
- Powerful cropping and aspect control
- Create custom filters based on history
- Export photo at different settings
- Persistent edit history tracking
- Infinite undo and redo
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Watermarks tool