This webinar is one in a series of monthly webinars organised by the Media & Learning Association (MLA) and Nordicom which aims to support the growing number of organisations and individuals keen to help young people become more media literate.
- Introduction to Media Literacy and Media landscape in Poland, by Grzegorz Ptaszek, president of The Polish Media Education Association until November 2020. Grzegorz will provide an overview of the status of Media Literacy, its position in the education system and the relevant policy framework for media literacy. (presentation)
- Media Literacy practices and experiences in Poland. During this part we plan to introduce you to several media literacy projects and initiatives taking place in Poland:
- Katarzyna Grubek – head of Culture and Media Department and coordinator of media and cultural education programs in Center for Citizenship Education. (presentation)
- Filip A. Gołębiewski– sociologist, social researcher, creator of social innovations, NGO activist. Originator, founder and president of the board of the Institute for Discourse and Dialogue (presentation)
- News and updates on media literacy across Europe. Each month we plan to bring you a round-up of news and information about media literacy activities in different countries including new developments, initiatives and research findings.
Moderators and hosts: Maarit Jaakkola, Nordicom and Sally Reynolds, Media & learning Association.
Spotlight on projects and media literacy initiatives in Poland:
- Media Education as a Challenge – Report on Media Education as a challenge – Media Education in the Polish Context
- Center for Civic Education – the largest educational non-governmental organization in Poland.
- Mind Over Media – analysing contemporary propaganda (tools and training)
- MedJa. The School of Critical Thinking – educational program that aims to establish partnerships between schools and local media agencies
- Shortcut – European Film Project centred on Citizenship Education through film, to be delivered in the classroom.
- Google.org Impact Challenge on Safety – a fund to support organisations across Europe that are working on challenges related to hate, extremism, and child safety, both online and offline.
- INDID Media Education Programme – media education programme for secondary schools.
- Modern Poland Foundation – Modern Poland Foundation fosters and supports a number of media education activities in Poland
Links to news and updates on media literacy across Europe:
- start2think – European project led by Centre for International Relations in Poland
- February’s Media & Learning Newsletter is out! – subscribe to our monthly newsletter
- EKOME’s Guide to MIL – new Guide “Meet Our Members” (e-booklet), introducing the members of Europe Sub Chapter Mediterranean Group for UNESCO MIL Alliance is now available.
- Media Literacy in Action – Renee Hobb’s new book brings an interdisciplinary approach to media studies